To port 3d object on a marker using .3ds file

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I started using the SLARToolkit a week back and it works very well in the case of the text Box ,image,video clip etc being transformed onto the marker..Howeve i know want to port a 3d Object ( .3ds exported from Blend) onto the marker area.Any help regarding How to use a 3d model exactly the same way as a normal component of the Silverlight application? Tried using Silvermotion to create a component to hold a 3d object but apparently it doesnt locate my .3ds object exported from blender. Is there no way we can use 3d into the app without going into Balder intricacies?  I am not much of a coder- but have to make an AR app for a product demo.Any light on simple using readymade 3d models into thhe sample?

thanks !

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Balder is the only way to use complex 3D models at the moment.

Please see the SLARToolkit Balder sample and modify it for your needs.

- Rene Schulte

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Thanks! The Balder samples with a little modification are doing fine. Worked with changing the textures depending on which marker is shown- and it worked nicely !

Is there a way one can see the Design view of the XAML while coding? For one would like to place controls like textbox , change positioning of components etc. using the Designer view.Am unable to do so cos while it works fine in the browser it gives me an error if i try to view it before hand in the designer window:

I get the following error

System.InvalidOperationException

An unhandled exception was encountered while trying to render the current silverlight project on the design surface. To diagnose this failure, please try to run the project in a regular browser using the silverlight developer runtime.

at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Platform.SilverlightViewProducer.OnUnhandledException(Object sender, ViewUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e) at Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.SilverlightPlatformSpecificView.OnUnhandledException(Object sender, ViewUnhandledExceptionEventArgs args) at Microsoft.Expression.Platform.Silverlight.Host.SilverlightImageHost.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Application_UnhandledException>b__0(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs) at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

System.ArgumentException

There is no loader for the specified file type 'ase'

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:38 AM

This is a known issue with Balder. I usually comment the Balder lines out, modify my XAML and comment it in. Or do it without the design view. Not optimal, but it's just a workaround until Balder fixes this issue.

- Rene Schulte

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Thanks- that really should have been an obvious way to do it :P my bad.Am pretty close to developing the final application - one last help?

The Camera captures the marker after a significant lag. Any way to make it capture at a greater frequency?