SLAR Toolkit for just Marker Detection and Measurement (Photogrammetry?)

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:08 AM

I'm sizing the effort for building an app that allows us to make measurements in the field using just a digital camera .  
I will be using either a supplied or custom marker, but only to measure, not for AR functions. 

Most directly I will be using just marker detection and making measurements from those markers against walls using a jpg image source from a digital camera.  

Capturing the photo and completing the measurements will most probably be out process from one another.

Is this the best choice for a library; or is there a project that more directly addresses this need?

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:51 AM

The marker size is usual 80 mm. See the docs:

So you know the marker size in the real world and you get a rectangle from the marker detection result in screen coordinates. This way you can calculate the quotient and get a magnification factor.

- Rene Schulte 

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Hmm.  Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my most pressing question.  

Is this the best library for doing these kinds of functions, or is there another project/product that would better fit my more humble/non-AR needs?

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Depends on the platform. The best open source lib for computer vision is the C/C++ lib called OpenCV.

I don't know any port of OpenCV for Silverlight or any other lib you can use. But you have to do your research yourself to be sure.  

- Rene

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Thanks that's just what I needed.