Why the use of the GrayBufferMarkerDetector?

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Hello,

I was going through your WP7 sample for the SLARToolkit.

You are using a new class, the GrayBufferMarkerDetector that is not documented on the website.

My question is why do you use this new class and not the CaptureSourceMarkerDetector?

Because the captureSource is way better to detect marker, especially on a white table. I comparaison between my webcam on the computer and my phone cam.

Also, what is the difference between those 2?

Thank you for your answers.

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Both detectors use the same algorithm in the end, so there's no algorithmic difference. What you experience is a difference between the image quality of your webcam vs. mobile phone cam and esp. the processing power of an ARM mobile CPU vs. a full blown x86/x64 PC CPU. 

GrayBufferMarkerDetector is just used as an example for WP since the sample uses WP's PhotoCamera API. You can also use the CaptureSource. Just look at the Silverlight samples to see how it works. It's just a different philosophy: Push vs. Pull http://kodierer.blogspot.de/2010/06/push-and-pull-silverlight-webcam.html You can also try to change the Interval of the DispatscherTimer for the WP sample. See line 76.

- René Schulte