Windows Store Apps

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Is there any plan to create a ARToolkit for Windows RT? Would it be too difficult to migrate?
Oct 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Quite a bit of effort, since the whole camera API is different than from WP.
I don't have plans for that.
  • Rene
Dec 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I believe many parts of SLARToolkit can be refactored into one or more PCL (Portable Class Library) projects. I will try this soon and let you know more

Then, since you allow use of an image source (apart from camera or custom capture source), author of WinRT app would be responsible to capture and provide the image (or maybe also make a compatible capture source interface implementation if they prefer)
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Edited Dec 30, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Managed to convert NyARToolkit to PCL very easily (minor changes to remove two unused methods that had a filename parameter and change a dump method for vectors to use a TextWriter parameter instead of using System.Out in its code)

So was able to remove that folder from SLARToolkit and added reference at it to the PCL library of NyARToolkit instead (adding it to the solution first)

More info on non-directly (without some compatibility layer) portable parts of SLARToolkit library can be found at:
Jan 4, 2014 at 5:28 AM
Will upload at SOURCE CODE PATCHES area my code changes, since I decided to use QR codes instead of AR codes at my current project (an art installation) and won't be touching more of SLARToolkit at the moment

Changes are:
  • PCL version of NyARToolkit
  • Projects changed to use the PCL library for NyARToolkit
  • Projects upgraded to load on VS2013, VS2012, VS2010SP1
  • Compiled all projects with VS2013
Jan 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Wow, thanks a lot! I will try it next week in my Surface RT. You rock!
Jan 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM
Have ported just the NyARToolkit part, not the SLARToolkit that wraps it.

However, since NyARToolkit is doing most of the dirty work, I suggest you grab the library from Codeplex and checkout the Windows Store app demos it has in there. They should have code on how to grab frames from the video camera I guess (hope they don't do it using Interop layer as they do in the WinForms demo)

Then you can adapt that capturing code and use it in SLARToolkit instead of the Silverlight camera capture code

In the future if I have some time to revisit this toolkit, I'd split SLARToolkit library in two parts, the Silverlight-specific parts and the portable part, which would be built as a PCL library as I did for the NyARToolkit that SLARToolkit uses
Jan 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM
btw, also checkout GRATF project (using, in case they have a Windows Store demo or something
it seems to be a similar Augmented Reality project (or something more general, maybe also supporting OCR)