QR Code Support

May 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Is there any support for the use of QR Codes as markers?  How difficult do you expect implementing this would be given that the component for encoding/decoding QR Codes is already built (i.e. Zebra Crossing).

May 18, 2010 at 7:03 AM
Edited May 18, 2010 at 7:13 AM

I know that the guys from Cynergy ported the Zebra Crossing lab to C# for their eBay Simple Lister Silverlight app and they announced to contribute it back to the project once the code is cleaned up.

The marker detection should also be possible with custom QR markers. The three little position rectangles on a typical QR code will be detected as three Markers by the Toolkit. QR code

But it would be better if you try to make a custom SLAR marker that uses a QR code image as inner pattern. I've described how to make / use custom markers here. Just use the the ARToolkit Marker Maker with a QR code as image. Then make a SLAR marker with the ARToolKit Marker Generator. You should test it with different segment sizes.

Although I'm pretty confident that it works, you have to try it to be sure.

May 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Thanks for the information, I'll let you know what I come up with!

May 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM
Edited May 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM

One think that just came to my mind, why not use an other 2D barcode system like Semacode or Microsoft Tag. The position rectangle on the QR code are the only concerns I have because they'll probably detected as markers. But as I wrote, you have tot try it to be sure.
I'm eager to know the results of your tests.

May 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM
This question was last asked in 2010. Has there been any update if it is possible to use a QR code as a marker, by detecting the three little positions mentioned above?