SLATtoolkit for windows phone 7

May 24, 2010 at 3:07 PM

HI again,

Thanks for the beginner tutorials, learn a lot'':-) but to go further i'am writtng on my master thesis and my gold is to ánalyse AR in real urban envrioment, and how we are starting to look though this virtuel interface into the real.  But is it possible to run the Slartoolkit demo projekt on the new upcoming phone 7- I've have not yet figured that out-- but is it hard(coding) to connect to the Windows 7 phone camera API??

May 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM

The current Windows Phone 7 CTP doesn't provide real-time camera access. Actually this was the first thing that I checked when the SDK was released. But ypu can be sure that I'll make a Win Phone 7 version as soon as the SDK provides real time camera access.

Please ping me when your master thesis is live.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

The Windows Phone 7 Developer HUB is in Europe! So I have touched a Prototype: Nice device :-)

Microsoft will NOT allow direct camera access in the first version. They have a short list for this version and this is not on it. They are not even sure it will be on the second release: "the roadmap is not yet final, so contact your Microsoft person to get this on the list with a higher priority"

You can hook to some camera events (picture taken) to process the picture / movie in your own app, but it will not be able to connect the camera from within your own app.

An other thing: WP7 will support only SL3.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM

You can be sure that I already suggested this feature and importance to MSFT. :) 

WP7 supports SL 3, plus some features of SL 4. So it's somewhere between SL 3 and SL 4 for desktop. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I ´m a happy owner of a LG WP7 now.

It has an app installed from LG: ScanSearch which does AR quite nicely. It shows icons of Points of Interest blended into the live camera pictures.

It uses compass and gps information.

How do they do that ?

Did they get access to lower level APIs because they are phone makers (partners) ?

cheers, Michael

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Hi Michael,

first congrats on your new device. :) Have fun and make sure to check out an app called 'Pictures Lab'. ;)

Yes, manufactures and carriers have access to the native SDK which obviously provides real time camera access.

An API for real time, raw camera access should also be provided for one of the next Windows Phone Silverlight versions.

- Rene Schulte